Tuesday, November 14, 2006

America and Me

It doesn’t matter how angry I get with American foreign or indeed corporate policy my fury is tempered by the following things;

i) I visited a gallery in CA some 4-5 months after 9/11 with my then new wife. A curator, recognising that we were not Americans made a point of apologising to us for the bombings and what followed. I was deeply touched and reminded of the difference between America and Americans.

ii) One of my oldest and dearest friends is an American, a book editor by day and a liberal campaigner in her remaining hours. I should wish to have such determination.

iii) Rachel Corrie was an American. So was Jackson Pollock, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Andy Warhol………..

A lesson for us all and it seems the American government in particular. When being just one must choose one’s enemies with care…….

No comments: